Skyrim and other Open World

The bigger the better! This seems to be the credo that the developers seem to pursue modern Open World games. But that is completely idiotic, right? I find that games like Assassin's Creed & Co. finally have to learn an important lesson.

A Comment by Robert Kohlick

Hitman 3 Makes: That's how an Open World has to look!

For years, there has been a trend in open-world games, which prepares with worries: You have to get bigger and more extensive. Proudly brag developers and publishers with how huge their game world is and bribes sometimes with the exact Number of square kilometers - and again and again we drop players on this cheap pocket player trick. Game X is five times bigger than his predecessor! Sounds cool on the paper!

PES 2021 - Portugal vs Brazil Final - FIFA World Cup 2022 - Full Match - All Goals HD - Gameplay PC But are we honest: Who from us really explored the complete 1,024 km² of Just Cause 4? And Wasassin's Creed: Odyssey A worse game when the world is only half as big? For me, the answer is clear: no!

What an Open World is really interesting for me, I understood that only after playing Hitman 3. The laugh of IO Interactive sets a very different focus. In contrast to the competition, the separated Open World Level in Hitman 3 are almost tiny - and yet no feeling of boredom comes after dozens of hours. But what is that?

Reading

Hitman 3 in the test: Game again, Agent 47

Alexander Gehlsdorf

Hitman 3 gives me exactly what I expect from a good Open World game: interesting stories and decision possibilities in the continuous fire. Another vibrant game world that works organically and diverse and responds to my actions, as well as the feeling that there is still something new to discover somewhere. Constantly I find another hidden secret passage, ceiling a new story mission on or find quasi by accident when exploring an additional detail of the story that remained hidden so far. The density of exciting events, observations and discoveries is simply incredible.

Hitman 3 (PS4) at Amazon

_Ein model for every Open World game! Hitman 3 shows what it really matters: _

Finally listens to inflate your game world artificially!

But exactly these aspects have many open-world games miss. Instead of confronting me in manageable intervals with unique stories, I get filling material in the form of repeatable quests, which stretch the playing time for several hours. And instead of overtaking from a cool location directly to the next, I must first felt three hours on my Gaul. Such things in the end only ensure that my player experience is unnecessarily diluted. According to the principle: mass instead of class. In my opinion, the whole stuff can be gone!

__to offer

Dear Open World developer, my advice to you: makes your game worlds finally smaller and focuses on providing for us players at every corner to discover something interesting. This shortens our season, no question! But if a highlight chases the other, your game will remain significantly better - I can promise you.

_ And where we are about to express our wishes: On these great games features, in the future, we can also give up: _

There are also clear exceptions such as The Crew, where the tabling of the huge game world is part of the gameplay, or Shadow of the Colossus, in which the ubiquitous emptiness contributes to the storytelling - but especially for huge role-playing games and many other genre representatives apply to me : If the game world looks too big as a replaceable backdrop that has rarely memorable adventures - yes then you did something wrong, dear developers!

Whether my wish is finding in the end, remains to be seen. Probably I bite with my suggestions for many on granite. In the future we will probably continue to get cheap All You Can Eat buffets instead of round three-course menus. But you will probably still dream ...

Comments